In this article, we will introduce you to the newest chicken treats on the market - the Black Soldier Fly Larvae. Here, you will know what makes these treats more in demand in the market.
So, let’s dive in!
What is Black Soldier Fly?
A Black soldier fly or Hermetia illucens is a common fly recognized as a promising alternative source of protein for animal feed that is seen throughout America, Canada, and Europe.
Its name originates from its physical appearance, which has a black body with metallic reflections on the thorax and a crimson end to the abdomen. The black soldier fly has 45 days life cycle divided into four stages; Adult, Egg, Larvae, and Pupa.
What Do They Eat?
Black soldier fly larvae eat anything organic like decaying meat, fish, and other animals that is a good source of protein. They also like to eat kitchen waste like carrots, bananas, and other vegetables, which is another good source of nutrients. They are known as scavengers because they consume organic waste, including algae, carrion, compost heaps, manure, mold, plant refuse, and the waste products of beehives.
Despite the image of being scavengers, the black soldier fly larvae play an essential role in our environment, especially in reducing food waste.
- It helps convert 30 metric tons of food waste to approximately ten metric tons and can produce 930kg of dry biomass daily.
- Simultaneously managing manure and generating a protein source by converting its nutrients into protein and fat makes it an excellent livestock feed additive.
- And serve as a food supplement to many animals
According to a study, ⅓ of the food we consume ends up in landfills that decompose into water-polluting sludge that creates challenges and worsens the carbon footprints. However, with the help of black soldier fly larvae, the amount of food waste thrown into the landfill lessened.
What’s inside the Black Soldier Fly?
Maybe some of you did not know that the black soldier fly has a lot of nutrients suitable for animals.
Yes, you read it right!
That is why in this section, we will discuss the nutrition content and how it affects our pets and farm animals.
Let’s get started!
Poultry Animals (Chickens, Turkeys, Geese, and Ducks)
According to a study, Black soldier fly larvae are one of the best substitute bird treats for chicken and poultry animals nowadays, especially when compared to mealworms. It is proven to be high in Protein, Calcium content, and Fats, making it the perfect alternative chicken treat.
- Study shows that the full-fat BSFL can replace up to 15% of the conventional feed ingredients in broiler diets, lowering the feed cost by 19%. As a result, this suggests that BSFL may already be a more affordable ingredient option with no adverse effects on broiler production parameters in some countries.
- It has 36-42% protein, an essential component for all animals, especially in poultry, that is necessary for growth, egg production, immunity, environmental adaptation, and other biological processes due to their amino acid components.
- And, it has also been proven that it has 75x more calcium than Mealworm, which is required in producing solid eggshells and supports the laying hen's circulatory, neurological, cardiac, and digestive systems.
There is no exact amount for how much of your flock’s diet is replaceable by these grubs, so as per experts' advice, you may start giving them 10% equivalent of your flock’s regular grain.
Reptiles are popular among many people. However, reptiles as predators tend to eat a variety of living organisms, like bugs, cockroaches, flies, and other types of insects. And so, Black soldier fly larvae are developed commercially to be marketed as pet food and to be an insect feeder for exotic pets.So, here are some of the benefits of feeding black soldier flies to your lovely pets.
- It has adequate calcium to phosphorus ratio, which plays a vital role in an animal's body. According to Dr. Julia Whittington, an exotic veterinarian, the development and preservation of bones and the operation of muscles and metabolism depend on calcium. If the blood calcium levels are low, they may suffer hypocalcemia, a disease that causes the animal to have muscle spasms and lethargy.
- It has been demonstrated through recent research on bearded dragons that BFSL promotes growth. According to the study, BSFL gives bearded dragons enough calcium and protein to support quicker growth. In addition, the study demonstrated that bearded dragon hatchlings grew more quickly on a BSFL staple diet than those that received other insects as supplements.
Pet food manufacturers have also come across this insect and discovered that it could be an excellent alternative protein source for our pets. So innovators have supported the idea of including it in their diet to help our environment preservation.
- Regarding nutrients, they found out that black soldier fly larvae have a high protein and other nutrients our dogs need to be fit and healthy in the long run.
Aside from being nutritious, it is considered sustainable since farmers can produce up to 300 tons of insect-based protein in a 3,600-square-foot area without any need for sunlight and water to thrive.
Now that you know the important things about the black soldier fly, let's move forward to where you can get these fantastic treats.
Where can I get the Black Soldier Fly Larvae?
We know that in today's generation, you can do everything online. And so, try visiting grubterra.com, our online store that offers affordable yet quality grubs for its people, especially those living in the United States.To learn more about GrubTerra, we'll share with you the company's beautiful history.
GrubTerra is a social impact company that focuses on creating a sustainable feed source for livestock while also helping to reduce landfill waste. We currently operates in New Jersey, where we raise our black soldier fly larvae off local restaurants, supermarkets, and farmers' markets food waste.
GrubTerra all started when its Founder and CEO, Michael Servais, became fascinated with creating a sustainable business model that could make healthy feed for animals and a company that would help the environment.
Michael discovered black soldier fly larvae and their vast potential and founded GrubTerra. The journey started in his college apartment basement, where he began raising the larvae. After a lot of trial and error, he launched a crowdfunding campaign where GrubTerra was able to get pre-sales to be ready to start the transition into an industrial facility.
Now, the company is continually growing and serves the entire USA with two varieties of black soldier sustainable treats at a very affordable price.
What will excite you more is that we offer FREE shipping of ALL our products with no minimum purchase required.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab NOW and enjoy the 10% discount on your first purchase.
Try it now!
For comments and suggestions, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Leave a comment: